Chef Naren Thimmaiah has been the face of the iconic Karavalli restaurant of the Taj Gateway Hotel in Bangalore for over a decade. It was a matter of great pride for his mother when she saw her own favorite recipe of Koli Barthad (Coorg Fried Chicken) feature prominently in the menu of Karavalli.
He joined the Taj group of hotels after completing his graduation and subsequent course in hotel management.
Naren holds the distinction of participating in the World Gourmet Summit held at Singapore in the year 2005. The World Gourmet Summit is an internationally acclaimed gastronomic event where only ten chefs from all over the world are invited to present their expertise.
He is popular on TV shows, regular contributor to food and lifestyle magazines and serves on the examination panels of many hotel management institutes.
KOLI BARTHAD (Coorg Fried Chicken)
Coriander Seeds 20 gm
Black Pepper Corn 10 gm
Jeera 5 gm
Mustard Seeds 5 gm
Cinnamon 5 gm
Cloves 5 gm
Chicken pieces 500 gm
Onion 150 gm
Garlic 25 gm
Kachampuli (Coorg vinegar) 15 ml
Red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
Salt To taste
Oil 75 ml
1. Broil garam masala ingredients till brown and powder it.
2. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and 5 gms of Coorg garam masala and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic and onion and sauté till brown and add Coorg garam masala and red chilli powder.
4. Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook.
5. When it is three fourth done add Kachampuli (Coorg vinegar) and cook till done and dry. Check for seasoning and remove.
6. This tastes better when stored overnight.